Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to Campsite Review Forums!

Tell us a little bit about yourselves, your camping gear and share your stories with other campers!
  • Page:

(0 rating)

TOPIC: OffSeason Camping?

OffSeason Camping? 02 Jul 2017 20:14 #601

• Nadine4132
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,
I am new to this site but am looking for advice from other campers/backpackers.

I am going to be traveling through Ireland during the first 2 weeks of October. I have been looking for campsites online but the majority of them seem to close by the end of September. Are there any other places where I could set up my tent? I read that wild camping is not illegal (although you should try to get permission) but is this really ok? I plan on going all over the country, ranging from Dublin to Cork to Clare to Antrim. In the cities I will most likely stay in hostels but once out in the country I would like to enjoy the outdoors more. I just don't want to cause any issues if I end up sleeping on someone's property!

Also when looking at these camping sites the fares go by unit, I assume this means per tent and then additional costs per person/car/amenities/etc.? And do I really need to book my spot in advance as I am not 100% sure of where I will be on which day.

Thank you!
Nadine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OffSeason Camping? 04 Jul 2017 09:15 #603

• Aaron
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 25
Hi Nadine welcome to the forum.

Wild camping in tents at least is not the norm here and there are very few if any places to stay.

We have a few campsites that are open all year round click here for more

The unit price is usually per camper / caravan / or tent plus 2 adults (this may vary) and the extras are for electric (in some cases this is included in the price) and showers etc etc .....

I hope this information has been of some help.

Enjoy your stay in Ireland.

Aaron
Happy Camping

OffSeason Camping? 05 Jul 2017 23:00 #605

• Nadine4132
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your reply! It seems like it can get pretty expensive to stay in campgrounds. I'm just curious what happens when they're not open during off season. Could I still put a tent there and just not use the amenities? I don't really understand how they can close down an open area?

OffSeason Camping? 09 Jul 2017 11:07 #606

• Aaron
  • Administrator
Gosh no when they are closed everything is closed loo blocks showers and gates are normally locked..... You only have that list of open all year round sites .....

Otherwise you are going to have to rely on the kindness of farmers and the like if they let you pitch a tent for a night or two !!!

Aaron
Happy Camping

OffSeason Camping? 09 Jul 2017 18:54 #607

• Nadine4132
  • Fresh Boarder
Haha okay thanks! I was just curious! Do you mind just explaining the rates to me, Im still a bit confused: for example -

Unit + 2 Adults + 2 Children €22.00 €26.00
Unit + 2 Adults €20.00 €25.00
Hiker Cyclist €10.00 €10.00

+ Extras ....etc.

Since I am only one person do I qualify as hiker cyclist? (I'm technically not since I am going to be driving....) I will have a rental car and will pay the additional for parking. Or is my tent considered a unit and then I have to pay for an extra person?

Also do you think the campsites will be very crowded during the first two weeks of October?
Thanks for all your help! I'm so glad I found this forum!

OffSeason Camping? 10 Jul 2017 09:15 #608

• Aaron
  • Administrator
Campistes will be fairly empty from end of September on with very few open from mid October.

If you have a tent & a car the tent is the UNIT the car will be included in the price and electricty will be extra in most places not all and showers are evter again in most places not all .......

Aaron
Happy Camping

OffSeason Camping? 10 Jul 2017 17:20 #609

• Nadine4132
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Aaron, thanks again for the great advice.
Just one more question for now:
When using campgrounds is it safe to leave my tent/sleeping bag/backpack etc. at the site while I am not there? Say I set up camp but then go out to dinner or if I am staying multiple days but spend the majority of the time out doing activities.

I assume most campers are friendly and respectful and therefore wouldn't take anything that doesn't belong to them. But do most people break down their setup and take their equipment with them each day?

OffSeason Camping? 11 Jul 2017 08:18 #610

• Aaron
  • Administrator
Yes in general its safe to do that ..... Just let the owner know that your heading off for a while so they can keep an extra eye out on site seen as you will be there mostly off or at the end of season.

Aaron
Happy Camping
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds