Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss and post your DIY Fixes and share with the community!

(0 rating)

TOPIC: Torsion Bars

Torsion Bars 25 May 2015 10:46 #467

• Aaron
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 25
Torsion Bars are the spring steel bars ( 40mm x 40mm ) that go through the axel on "some" motorhomes from one side of the back wheel to the other. IF or When they snap the wheels can fall off. !

My 1996 Hymer Tagg Axel snapped the Torsion Bars on the very back axel, and to fix the job I was told it could cost in access of £2500stg to have the axel replaced plus labour.

I spoke to a mechanic that had done this job on his single axel Hymer AClass and he told me it was a BIG job & could be a costly job.

Now my 1996 Hymer AClass has only 63600 miles on the clock and it is in perfect condition inside & out with the execption of the axel breaking, so spending £2500stg would be worth it ..... HOWEVER I didnt have that kind of money hanging around and as I had our holiday ferry to France booked & payed for I was under time pressure to sort this problem out.

After asking around it seemed I had no other option but to fork out the money and wait 6 to 8 weeks for the axel to arrive from Alko in the UK..... It was 7 weeks to our holidays..

Then Caroline my best friend ( and our assistant web master ) went googling and came upon a forum speaking about this very same problem. BUT the guy in Dublin didnt replace the axel he replaced the Torsion Bars !!! at a fraction of the cost and in a 4 to 6 time frame....

I got in touch with the company in the UK and they told me to strip the axel and give them the size of the Torsion Bars ( they are 40x40x1434mm.)

5 weeks after ordering the bar they arrived by TNT and 12 hours later the camper was back on its axels :cheer: with alot of help from my friend Dick.

The cost of the Torsion Bars was £865stg no other parts were required and NO SPECIAL TOOL was required to fit the bars or complete assembly (as i was told would be needed)

Thanks to Caroline for finding the forum & to Dick for his help in getting the job done. Thanks also to Steve in Carrick for his help to & to Graham in Camp Europe for sourcing the parts.

Check out Camp Europe HERE

Looking forward to France in June

Aaron
Happy Camping
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Torsion Bars 25 May 2015 17:00 #468

• Carr
  • Thank you received: 8
You're very welcome Aaron, I'm just glad you got it sorted in time to go to France! :) (Snow-globe) ;)

Car x
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds